Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Do The Bug

Charlotte Russe
H&M
Lanvin
Lanvin
Elsa Peretti for Tiffany &Co.
Blake Lively in Lanvin
Melissa Leo in Katherine Wallach

Ricki Lake started it in 1986's Hairspray where she did "The Bug" in a pink and black cockroach dress, although today it has taken on a much edgier and cleaner look with the help of Lanvin's spring 2011 jewelry collection. It really is a step above the rest. The designs are beautifully crafted and completely astonishing, but perhaps too literal? Come on, Lanvin, use some of that creative license! Don't get me wrong - a house fly does have its appeals: that emerald sheen; those round deep, piercing, onyx eyes; its delicate touch and nature. And yes, I did make a fly just sound fabulous. And yes, I love how fashion is pushing the boundaries on what in fact is beautiful - I am so over the silver butterfly - cutesy rings that have been around for well, now, too long. Let us try something new, exotic, daring...

This is why I was so pleased when I walked into H&M and saw a whole mound (pun intended) of creepy crawlys, in all kinds of fashion forward jewel tones. The H&M ring pictured about would instantly turn a normal outfit into something to be envious of. And yes, I believe it is as simple as an accessory to turn a drab outfit into something great. Even the classy, sophisticated types like Tiffany & Co are on board with this trend: Peretti's scorpion necklace is to be warn with extreme styling caution. It is also refreshing to see the likes of Blake Lively wearing insects and bondage all in one hoot. Now, don't sit there and tell me you wouldn't harm a fly for that Lanvin leather band. I know I would.




No comments:

Post a Comment